Wednesday 21 November 2007

Widgets for your blog


Another important aspect of a blog is the widgets one embeds in it to explore the blog to its full potential.
There is one element that I think most important in a blog and that is the RSS feed feature.
In a very non technical language, RSS Feed is a fairly easy way to be notified about the update of content in someone's blog, site, wiki, etc.

How is this possible? By subscribing to a blog's feed through a RSS feed aggregator (also called RSS feed reader) one no longer has to constantly check a blog to check for its update. It will directly be fed into the rss reader. Only one place where all the blogs you read come together. Can it get any better than this?! :-)

There are many rss readers available on the web. I used protopages in the past, and now I turned into igoogle, which lets me use many widgets in only one space, including several and different RSS feed readers. So every time I log in to my computer it just jumps into my face, since I have igoogle as my home page! ...but that is just my strategy to keep up to date with the blog world. Here is my protopage, in case you want to have a look at it.

Bloglines and google reader are also other two good rss readers, which you can subscribe to for free.

For more info about RSS feed we recommend you watch RSS Feed in Plain English by Common Craft.

More about different widgets later!
Looking forward to your comments.

3 comments:

Claire Thompson said...

Cristina,
Thanks for the info on RSS readers. I've been curious about them and after your post I set up Google Reader. For others who might be reading this, Google has a short (>min) video on the reader and how it works.

Bob Cotter said...

I'm a google reader person too. One thing I need to do is to constantly consider my subscriptions. It is easy to add more and more and more, leading to read less and less and less ;-) Bob

Cristina Costa said...

That is so true. It is so easy to be carried away with all the interesting blogs you find in cyberspace. I try to discipline myself, by selecting the ones which are more useful to my professional activity, but it is not easy.; not at all.
And you always know that you will miss some good posts, but that is part of today's reality. You can only do so much.